Sunday, May 30, 2004

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

My friend and former colleague Kevin Michael Grace, amused that part of one of his past articles is being used by Canada's Liberal Party to paint Stephen Harper as an extremist in election attack ads, points out that the Tory leader is no modern-day Enoch Powell.

I don't share Kevin's paleoconservatism. Nevertheless I am somewhat concerned that Mr. Harper is trying to at least appear moderate in order to appeal to Central Canadian voters. If the New Democratic Party is made up of "Liberals in a hurry", I am sure that I can guess which party Kevin would dub the "Liberals on Quaaludes".

I would like to think that if the Report was still around that the magazine would dare to ask "How conservative *is* Stephen Harper?" I think that Kevin Grace is to be commended for raising the question.