Tuesday, July 22, 2003

"Look at me, I'm Canada....I'm perfect...la dee dah."

Dizzy Girl is annoyed at Canada after reading a transcript of that mock apology to the United States that Colin Mochrie delivered on This Hour Has 22 Minutes earlier this year. Snopes, the urban legend debunker, has confirmed that these satirical words were delivered by Mochrie (please follow the link for further links and details), although they have been widely credited to Rick Mercer. I think that the source of this confusion may be due to Mercer delivering a similar (if not identical) routine on the Just for Laughs stage in Montreal. I may even have seen footage of that on TV...but I can't provide a cite, so please don't quote me.

Dizzy Girl, well, I would be annoyed too. Miss Girl should know that that is the Central Canadian Media Elite Axis Of Evil talking. Most Canadians get along amicably with the U.S.. It doesn't mean that the U.S. is perfect, mind you, but Canadian politicians and entertainers have been having a hissy fit at the U.S.' s expense.