Sunday, April 28, 2013

The M-312 failure and the start of the "Stephen Harper ignored you, but I..." meme

[Posted at Bene Diction Blogs On spet 26, 2012]

As noted by Bene D in his quick update--thanks!--the pro-life motion, M-312 was defeated in the House earlier today.

John Ivison of the National Post has what I think is a very good observation in his report on the vote.

Of the Tories who defied Stephen Harper and voted for the motion, there were eight cabinet ministers, one of them Jason Kenney, he noted.

Harper cannot be leader forever, Ivison adds. Anyone bidding to be leader after him may want pro-life or so-con support.

I would myself add that something like "Harper gave you the back of his hand, but I..." might be a seductive thing to say to certain delegates at a future leadership convention.

Perhaps the ponies are already straining in the starting gate?

[My first guess that M-312 was doomed proved right, but please treat my evident disposition to be the H.V. Kaltenborn of BDBO kindly. I am reminded of Monty Python's Election Night sketch in which a pundit says something to the effect of "Well, the results are largely as I predicted, except that the Silly Party won." ;) ]

nies are already straining in the starting gate? [My first guess that M-312 was doomed proved right, but please treat my evident disposition to be the H.V. Kaltenborn of BDBO kindly. I am reminded of Monty Python's Election Night sketch in which a pundit says something to the effect of "Well, the results are largely as I predicted, except that the Silly Party won." ;) ]