Thursday, July 17, 2014

Big News About to break with Todd Bentley?

[Posted at Bene Diction Blogs on Feb. 1, 2014]
I should have first realized that something may have been about to break in regards to Todd Bentley when I saw this in my inbox this morning.

He's selling everything on his own Sound of Fire website--not fresh Fire--for 50 per cent off for the month of February.

It's priced to move! As confirmed by this notice on Facebook.
Sound of Fire USA  
And so is Todd? Seems he needs access to potential money that only he himself would have access to. And he needs it NOW.

At the very least, he needs a quick influx of cash to keep the wolf from the door of his ministry, as Todd Bentley is taking another "sabbatical."

I wonder if he is almost about to sound like the home furnishings stores in Seattle Washington which were always "going out of business", which were parodied to good effect on the old local Almost Live! TV comedy show.

Also, both Todd and Jessa are withdrawing from ministry for a while, following the cancellation of his trip to Germany and Austria in November.

In a January 17 e-mail and posting on the Fresh Fire USA site, Todd states:
I did end up in the hospital where there were several tests done to find the causes of the shortness of breath, racing heart, pain in my chest, and other physical symptoms. I am still working with doctors toward a full recovery. In addition, I have been experiencing anxiety and panic attacks which add to the physical challenge. The bigger question is getting to the root of what is causing these issues. With much prayer and thought, this has led me and our team to believe that for a season, it would be best to take a continued break to recover fully physically, and spiritually, using time to pray, and get closer to the Lord. I've come to realize that there are some areas in my character that still need work. During the time of these physical challenges there were things revealed in my life that were sinful, the result of still having cracks in my foundation. These unresolved personal issues are being addressed, is being corrected, and now in the process of being healed before I return to ministry. I will be working to pursue deeper inner healing to be sure that there is nothing further in me that could be a snare and hinder me from living strong and victoriously. As many of you know, I've had two burnouts and health challenges in the past. This time, I want to be sure that I make the priority my health, my family, and walking fully in the light before the Lord in everything. This process will be done with doctors, intense counseling, and working with a trainer in the gym on my cardio and nutrition.

The big observation would be that "Wasn't this all fixed by the work Todd did with Rick Joyner?" During the Joyner restoration, he (Joyner) alluded to not wanting to do this restoration again if he could avoid it.

There's something in the statement from Jessa as well, who alludes to her and Todd wanting to have their own children.

Jessa states:
A Word from Jessa: I (Jessa) am so thankful for everything the Lord has done last year. Being apart of all the amazing fruit of salvations, healings, and miracles has caused me to be so blessed and honored by the Lord. I have realized in this time that I too need a break to search my heart and deal with some emotional conflicts about ministry, having a family of my own, and pressures of full time ministry. I also feel the need to fully recover from disappointment from the difficult season that began 5 years ago. Please understand that I am not in any way suggesting that Todd and I are having any marital problems. Todd and I are very happy, in love, and looking forward to preparing for a family. I will be supporting Todd in this season, as he is supporting me, to be refreshed in the Lord and come out of this season stronger and continue on in the ministry.

Two observations:

We don't want to read anything into Jessa emphasizing that all is well in their marriage, but the Shakespeare quote "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" comes to mind. Sorry.

Secondly, the issue Of Jessa's "disappointment" is interesting. We recall that Jessa and Todd wound up being on the way to a relationship during the Lakeland Revival in 2008. She mentions "five years" of disappointment, which would imply that she was uneasy with Todd not moving towards "one two, many Lakelands".

As has been mentioned, I have been following Todd Bentley for the past 13 years now, so it makes sense to me that Todd now has sort of returned to the level of prominence that he had when he was operating Fresh Fire Ministries out of Abbotsford, British Columbia. He would do overseas crusades and travel around the US and Canada, much as he does now. Except that now he doesn't minister around Vancouver BC and its suburbs anymore(where his starter children live). Also, he can now bill himself as "the Lakeland guy" with reflected fame from that.

So Jessa might be having to come to terms with being involved with a mid-level ministry. Todd has done this before and is used to it. Jessa is not. She might be having to realize that Lakeland was a "perfect storm" that made Todd merely a "nine-day wonder", to use an old newspaper term. What if the "good parts" of Lakeland winds up to be the highlight of Todd's ministry life? The prospect of tagging along as Todd goes from little church to little church might seem daunting.

A follow-up e-mail and announcement on January 23 notes that although Todd and Jessa are "on sabbatical", Fresh Fire USA is still hard at work, with their main priority for now being building a "prayer support network."

They write:

....Though Todd and Jessa are on a sabbatical, Fresh Fire Ministries continues in its operations. The Fresh Fire team and staff are still receiving prayer requests, answering phone calls and emails, and are available for any questions you may have about your continued financial support or how you may help Todd and Jessa during this season.....


Todd Bentley won't be on the road gathering donations, thus the "fire sale" announced this morning.

But everything at the Fresh Fire USA ministry is in a holding pattern, circling the airport and waiting to land.

For now.