Saturday, June 02, 2012

May also have set a hockey record for most famous evangelist daughters? :)

[Posted at Bene Diction Blogs on May 28, 2012]
With the upcoming Stanley Cup finals, it might be time for a lighthearted post. And if I help Faytene Grasseschi in the process, so much the better.

While Faytene recovers from her faint, I'll explain what I mean. ;)

If you follow Faytene, you come to learn that her father, Dave Kryskow, played in the NHL and WHA for a few years in the 1970s. A few times, in various messages, I have heard her refer to her father and then say something to the effect of, "And so you guys will listen to the rest of my sermon, yes, my dad did play in the NHL and ..." But the sins of the daughter should not be laid at the feet of the father, I haven't sought to mention it.

But what follows may be of passing interest, and I thought to myself, I wonder if Faytene knows this. [It was her reference to her dad to her remarks in a US church that flustered her to the point that she had to remind herself that she was talking about "um, yeah, global dominion". so this is how I'd like to return the favor to him. ;) ]

I recently bought a copy of Andrew Podnieks' 2003 book, Players, which has a write up on every player who ever played in the NHL. Podnieks, after noting that Dave was hoped to be a possible replacement for Bobby Hull by the Black Hawks that drafted him, writes this sentence:

"Needless to say, Kryskow was no Hull, though during his season in the minors he set a pro hockey record by scoring three short-handed goals in a single game."
This would be while he played for the Dallas Black Hawks of the Central Hockey League, as far as I can figure.

Glad to remind Faytene, if this had slipped her mind. ["...And yes, my dad was the first at any level of professional hockey to score..."] But if I can make a brief serious point, if Faytene is not careful and lets her male listeners think, erroneously, that her dad was the first in the NHL to score three shorthanded goals in a game--which is not true--it might be an interesting test of whether she has a tendency to stretch things while in the pulpit. But I'll not say that she would certainly do this to avoid a two minutes for unbloggerlike conduct infraction. :)

Be careful, fellows, about how you mention this post to Faytene and ask for further details. If she were to say, put her hands over her ears and go, "Lalalalala, I'n not listening to you, Lalalalala.", well that would be my bad. ;)

Anyways, if she didn't know at all, well, I'm happy to do Faytene a good turn. Her Dad would probably be happy to remember it for her, assuming Podnieks is bang on in his reporting.